Search This Blog

Sunday, April 29, 2007

Angels @ the Red Eye

Calloused hands reach for the warm soup No words are exchanged as the smell of urine and sweat fill my nostrils I am humbled and do not react I am proud that I am humble and I'm forced to start over As she grabs the soup from my hands I wonder if she expects charity and immediately feel sorry recognizing the shame in her posture that I have seen so many times in my own mother I want to save her until I realize I would be saving her from people like me who allow others to become charity so we can feel better about ourselves As she begins to walk away my heart is stirred to speak hoping something in my words might save her soul My voice catches in my throat as I realize it is me who should be ashamed I don't even know the color of her eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment