Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Beauty for Ashes

"The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has annointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives, and release from darkness for the prisoners (blind), to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion- to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of His splendor." -Isaiah 61:1-3 do not deserve a crown of beauty, comfort, gladness, praise or even release from the darkness that surrounded me for so long...but God has decided to give me these things. It is for His splendor that I have been planted-and for His splendor that I choose to carry on from here and accept these gifts that have been so freely given to me. It is not a burden to live each day for the Lord - it is a blessing I do not deserve. It is not fear that should drive the decisions I make - it is God's love in me. It is not by my power that I rise every morning with new strength and rest my head every night with peace undisturbed. It is through my weakness that God's power is made perfect. It is by His grace and mercy that I sit here and smile. It is His forgiveness that allows me to feel free enough to forgive others. His love pursues me at all times no matter how far I run. My desire is to love like He loves me. It is for His splendor. It is for His glory. I will not grieve for myself - I cannot change decisions already carried out. I can rise today and decide to accept this crown of beauty that is being offered to me. If I am going to do so apprehensively, it is best for me not to take it at all. I pray for God to help me not be timid about what He is offering me. "Do not be wise in your own eyes." -Proverbs 3:7

No comments:

Post a Comment