Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Thank you, Gerald Ford

I sit in my living room, as I have many times before…contemplating. I am watching the funeral of Gerald R. Ford taking place in Washington. I know he will be laying in repose in Grand Rapids this evening, and I would love to be there. I realize as I sit here that the part of me that wants to be there is the part of me that craves adventure. I know it would be an honor to witness a part of history, and to be able to say I was there to see it. I know it would fill me with a great sense of responsibility to consider what I am doing to make this nation and this world a better place. However, the maturing part of me realizes that I already have that burden of responsibility laid upon my heart while sitting here watching the funeral on television. As I listen to past and present leaders speak on the integrity and humility of Gerald Ford, I am pressed to consider my own integrity and humility. I realize that the resources of my time, money, and energy that would be used to go to Grand Rapids today and stand in line to pay my respects to the former President might be better spent fulfilling my obligations here to my church, my family and my community. Even as I write this, I regret the decision to stay slightly because I know I am the type to get in my car and just go knowing that whatever happens it would be worth whatever sacrifice I need to make to be there. I’m sure it would be worth it. I know it would be, to see the 21 jets fly over the Grand River, to see the coffin with the American flag draped over it, to stay a couple of days and see old friends. However, I know with a little planning and patience, the trip could mean far more to me. Sacrifices will still be made financially and with respects to time, but it will be worth it. If I go next week, I can privately visit the place where Gerald R. Ford will be laid to rest, and tour the museum that I have walked through numerous times, in honor of the late President and his wife. I can plan visits with many friends, so I can make sure I see everyone I want to see, and work hard while I am here so I can stay a few days without too many responsibilities missed here. It just makes more sense. I have never been one to do the sensible thing. I tend to follow my heart and ignore the voice in my head. However, I realize now that you can hold onto convictions in your heart and heed the warnings in your head, and serve people more effectively. I think Gerald Ford understood that balance more than most. He served God and his country and his family with a humble heart and sensible disposition, never losing the passion that drove him to serve. I proudly sit in my living room today and vow to strive to do the same. Rest in peace, Gerald Ford, thank you for the lessons I have learned, even through your passing. May God have mercy on us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment