Search This Blog

Monday, February 04, 2013

Movin' on up...


It is amazing how much I am affected by circumstances that surround me, and/or how people respond to me (or don’t respond to me, depending).  I would like to think that I am more independent than that, or at least not so easily influenced.  I know that I am easily influenced.  I can be talked into pretty much anything.  I am open-minded and spontaneous, so I figure, why not?  I’ll try it, especially if it is something new (whether an idea or action), or it will bring someone joy, or make people laugh (or it’s fighting the power…fight the power!)  How people respond to me, and what is happening to me in any given season (or day) of my life, directly reflect on how I feel about myself and my life.
I am driven by emotions.  I will fall silent in a meeting if I feel like I am not being heard (when I say heard, what I really mean is respected and taken seriously).  I take it personal, and I grind my teeth.  You can physically see my eyes cloud over, and I want you to see it, in that moment.  Truth:  What happens in meetings is not personal, and if it is, that is the person’s problem who is being unprofessional enough to make it personal.  The only thing I can come up with that would possibly cause such immature behavior in yours truly is…pride. 

I want everything to be fair.  I get physically angry if I feel something is unfair.  It can be incredibly obnoxious at times.  It can also serve people who cannot defend themselves, and bring about positive change.  I wish I could say it is in that instance where this shows up the most.  I wish.  I’m not sure I want to squash this entirely in myself, but I would like to control it to some degree, so it can rear its monstrous brevity at more appropriate times (like, maybe not when someone wins something I feel they don’t deserve….who am I to judge who deserves what?)  The obnoxious, unnecessary anger often leaves me tired and, eventually, defeated.  How can that possibly serve me or anyone else in a positive way?
I am a fighter.  I have always been a fighter.  However, I am also a coward, and have always been a coward.  These two do not mix.  I tend to confuse the emotions which drive each.  I tend to fight when I should sit down and be quiet, and I tend to sit down and be quiet when I should speak up.  It’s horrible.  I figure it out eventually (good ol’ hindsight), and rake myself over the coals for it entirely too often.  Both can be good, and both can serve the common good (not so much cowardice as wisdom, which is often mistaken for cowardice).  Enter Serenity Prayer here.

Truth is…I knew all of these things about myself in my 20’s.  As they became more apparent, I actually became more stubborn about them, exacerbating my reactions to otherwise simple events.  I know the fact that I was going through (undiagnosed) menopause can work in my favor as a formidable excuse.  I can be a little gentler with myself about that season of life, now having a better understanding of just how much craziness comes along with menopause.  God gave me all these 'funny little things about me' for a reason.  Now, in my 30’s (did I mention how much I love my 30’s?), I realize it is in my power to figure out a way to hone these ‘less admirable attributes’ into ‘awesome skills’ for the marketplace, professional world, and life in general.  The one thing you begin to realize is, there is no way you can do it alone.  I think we all have this fear of exposing ourselves to other people (figuratively speaking, of course.  Well, I think many people are afraid of naked, too…naked is…naked.  Leave it alone.  It’s awesome.)  We think we’re going to become vulnerable, and leave ourselves more open to be judged, or worse, rejected.  The truth is, though, people already see these things in us.  Chances are, none of my friends would be surprised if I went up to them and said, ‘You know, I think I take things personal too much.’  They would probably become immediately fearful in how to respond to the statement….wondering if I actually desire an honest response, or if I’m just seeking slightly erroneous affirmation.  I’m not sure I would disappoint them.  Chances are I would take whatever they said in response very personal.  Nobody can win responding to a statement like that…except if you’re me.  I will tell you the truth (or at least my truth, the truth I see and know).  I’ll try to say it in a way that allows you to see the positive side of it, but I will still tell you what I see, and how I feel about it, if you ask.  That is one thing I have never regretted changing about me…no matter how anyone has responded.  The truth does set you free.  It’s nice that people pretty much know that’s exactly what you’ll get if you come to me with something.  I’m not always right.  I don’t always know what I’m talking about.  I will listen, though, and usually just repeat back to you what you said to me in a different way so that you can hear what you need to from the very person you need to hear it from…yourself.  I expect the same thing from others.  I’m not sure I have always made it very easy for people to respond to me in the same way.  I yearned for it, but would make you sorry for it.  I have improved vastly on this account, but still have a long way to go.
I see it.  I see all of these ‘attributes’ in my life.  It’s time to stop countless bouts of self-degradation for moments already passed.  It’s like Ric says (and now I also say) when directing a show, ‘Recognize your mistake, take it out, and don’t replace it with a new one’.  The audience doesn’t know the blocking, or choreography, or the lines.  Concentrating on a mistake only leaves room to make another one.  Recognize it, acquire feedback, gain perspective that’s different from yours, allow room for forgiveness on all levels, TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS, and, for Pete’s sake, move up.  Moving up is so much better than moving on.  Moving on sometimes means we just move over.  Moving up means we have taken something from the experience and brought it with us, so we can be better the next time around.  Nobody knows your blocking, choreography, or lines.  Dance away, my little darlings.  If someone has something to say about it, take it in if there’s a lesson to be learned, thank them, shake your booty, and smile.    

                            

 

No comments:

Post a Comment